Article: How to Decorate Moroccan Style: the Complete Guide
How to Decorate Moroccan Style: the Complete Guide
Want to learn how to decorate Moroccan style? You've come to the right place. Today, we're going to take you on a journey that will transform the way you look at interior design. Once you've experienced the way Moroccan furniture and decor can make your home feel, you'll be glad you took the time to read this guide.
The warm, vibrant colors and natural materials that encompass turn your abode into a Moroccan paradise - no matter where it is you call home. This article is going to address two important questions/topics you are probably pondering right now:
By the end of this article you'll feel confident in choosing your furniture and decor to inspire a Moroccan vibe. Whether you want to learn how to decorate a bedroom Moroccan style or your goal is to to turn your pool into a Moroccan paradise - we'll point you in the right direction. Before we can start making furniture & decor recommendations to you, though, we need to start with the basics.
What is Moroccan Style?
First things first - what is Moroccan style?
This style draws influence from a number of different cultures - including Arabic, Berber, Andalusian, and French. It's a style that is often associated with luxury, due to its use of rich colors and intricate patterns. The elegance and sophistication of Moroccan styled furniture and decor has earned it favor around the world. And chances are, that’s why you’re here reading this guide.
Moroccan decor first gained popularity in the West during the 1920s - thanks in large part to famous designers such as Jean Dunand, who used Moroccan elements in his Art Deco interiors. However, it wasn't until the 1960s that Moroccan design style really took off. This was due in part to the popularity of Boho chic and Hippie culture - which both favored natural materials and earthy tones. By the 1970s, everyone from Hollywood celebrities to British royalty were embracing Moroccan design style.
While this style has changed and evolved over the years, there are a few key elements that have remained constant:
- Colorful tiles
- Intricate patterns
- Bright colors
- Bold prints
- Natural materials
If you're looking to incorporate Moroccan style into your home, these are the elements you'll want to keep an eye out for. They're indicative of what you'd experience in the Northwestern African country - and can help you bring this celebrated culture into your own space. But now - you're probably wondering how to decorate Moroccan style. We won't hold you in suspense any longer...here's what you need to know.
How to Decorate Moroccan Style
First, we'll start with a few general tips on how to decorate Moroccan style. Then, we'll move on to specific recommendations for how to decorate different rooms in your home - from the bedroom to the living room to the backyard and beyond.
When attempting to incorporate this into your space, think back to the core elements we discussed above. Your furniture and decor should largely consist of vibrant colors and natural materials. In saying that, here are some general tips to keep in mind when decorating with a Moroccan theme in mind:
- Incorporate textured fabrics: This style is all about creating visual interest. One way to do this is by incorporating textured fabrics into your design. Velvet, silk, and embroidery are all welcome.
- Choose rich, jewel tones: One of the defining characteristics of this style is its use of color. When picking out furniture and decor for your space, choose rich jewel tones like sapphire, emerald, and ruby.
- Use lots of pillows and cushions: This style is adored by many because it creates a cozy space people genuinely love being in. To achieve this, use lots of pillows and cushions throughout your home. This will not only add comfort, but also visual interest.
- Add in some greenery: To add a touch of nature - and to help offset all the bold colors - add some greenery to your space. Potted plants are a great way to do this.
- Incorporate hanging lamps & decor: Hanging lamps are a staple in Moroccan design. They help to create an ambient and relaxing atmosphere.
Now, let's take a more specific look at how to decorate your home Moroccan style. We'll start with where you spend most of your life: in the bedroom.
How to Decorate a Bedroom Moroccan Style
Your bedroom should be your oasis - a place where you can relax and unwind after a long day. When it comes to decorating your bedroom Moroccan style, there are a few key elements you'll want to include:
- A Moroccan bed: The centerpiece of your bedroom should be a beautiful Moroccan-designed bed. Look for one with intricate carvings and bold colors. To complete the look, consider adding some Moroccan bedding. This can include colorful pillows, blankets, and quilts. OR - one of our personal favorites: poufs.
- Moroccan Poufs: If you want to add more functional decor elements to your bedroom, consider a Moroccan pouf. These can be used as footrests or seating - and they're crafted with incredibly unique styles. Just the mere presence of these in your space will transport you to a Moroccan paradise.
- Moroccan Mirrors: Most of us get ready in our bedrooms - and having a mirror right in the space makes it easy to put your perfect look together so you can step out in confidence. And if you're learning how to decorate a bedroom Moroccan style, you can't do it without a Moroccan mirror. These feature natural materials and intricate weavings that are reminiscent of what you'll find in homes and lodging throughout Northwestern Africa.
- Moroccan bedside tables: To complete the look of your bedroom, consider adding some Moroccan side tables. These are usually ornate and decorative - perfect for storing all your nighttime essentials.
- Hanging lamps: These are essential to help create an ambient and relaxing atmosphere with a Moroccan flair - perfect for a bedroom. We have some of the most stunning, one-of-a-kind Moroccan lamps you won't find anywhere else. And, whether you're looking for hanging, floor, or table lamps - you'll find them in our collection.
How to Decorate a Living Room Moroccan Style
Now that you know how to decorate a bedroom Moroccan style, let's move on to the living room. This is a place for you and your family & friends to gather and enjoy each other’s company. It should be bright and vibrant - as this will affect the energy in the space. That’s why we love teaching people how to decorate a living room Moroccan style. You’ll literally feel the difference when you first step foot into the room and show it off to your guests.
- A Moroccan couch: The centerpiece of any living room is the couch. Look for one with intricate carvings and bold colors.
- Moroccan coffee table: To complete the look, consider adding a Moroccan coffee table. These are usually ornate and decorative - perfect for storing all your books or magazines. Although the styles vary from wooden to woven, they all share one key trait: natural materials and stunning etchings/carvings.
- Morrocan blankets & pillows: you can add some Moroccan throw blankets and Moroccan pillows to accentuate the look of your Moroccan couch. These will typically be made from authentic, natural Moroccan materials and feature cool, vibrant patterns and designs to inspire conversation anytime you have company over.
- Moroccan area rug: An area rug is a great way to add color and pattern to your space. When choosing a Moroccan rug for your living room, opt for a vibrant design in jewel tones.
- Hanging lamps: As we mentioned before, hanging lamps are an essential part of this style. They help to create an ambient and relaxing atmosphere - perfect for a living room.
How to Decorate a Patio Moroccan Style
Whether you have a small patio or a large cabana, creating a warm, relaxing atmosphere you and your company can enjoy together is a priority for any homeowner. Here’s how to create a Moroccan oasis in the backyard:
- A Moroccan table with a bench or stools: The centerpiece of your patio should be a beautiful Moroccan seating arrangement. Of course, you’ll need some sort of wooden or woven table to gather around - but we’re more interested in the seating. Look for furniture with intricate carvings and bold colors. The Moroccan benches and Moroccan stools we offer are carefully crafted from the finest materials and you can trust they’ll withstand the outdoor elements.
- Moroccan lighting: Lanterns are a great way to add light - and ambiance - to your patio. They come in a variety of sizes and styles, so you're sure to find the perfect ones for your space.
- Potted plants: Potted plants are a great way to add color and life to your patio. Choose ones that can withstand the elements - like succulents or cacti.
- Moroccan baskets: Looking for a unique way to store the outdoor necessities - whether they be pool towels, bug spray/sunscreen, or perhaps even your cigar supplies? Moroccan baskets are one of our favorite forms of practical decor: acting as storage while bringing out that African flair with intricate weavings.
Final Thoughts on How to Decorate Moroccan Style
Now that you know how to decorate your home with a Moroccan flair, there is just one thing left to do. Head over to Canggu Home and explore our full collection of Moroccan furniture and Moroccan decor. All our pieces are visual works of art that serve a practical, functional purpose too. Our offerings are sure to inspire the vibe you’re trying to create in your home. Head over to our site and treat yourself to the stylish, quality essentials that makeup your Moroccan theme.